Friday 23 January 2009

Show and Tell!

Show and Tell

For my Show-and-Tell this Friday I am going to show this gorgeous Noah's Ark that Baby Kay was given by her God-parents before she was born. They knew I was working through a Noah's Ark cross-stitch for her nursery (which finally got finished just before Christmas, when she was 8 months old, instead of before she arrived!) You can see the cross-stitch here.


This Noah's Ark advent calendar was being sold in a gorgeous (and very expensive) gift shop in our town. I had seen it in there in their Christmas display a few times, but it never entered my head to even ask about it (I am conscious of the adage 'if you have to ask the price then you can't afford it!) nor had I mentioned it to anyone. Baby Kay's Godparents had gone out to do some shopping of their own while they were staying with us last year, and when they arrived back they told me that they had bought their God-daughter her first Christmas present. I was so stunned by their thoughtfulness and generosity - and their kindness for this little girl who wasn't even born yet. It has pride of place in Baby Kay's nursery, on a shelf by her cot at the moment.

It has 24 little doors for treats, or to hide all the little pairs of animals in for a child to bring out during Advent, and rotates on a central pivot so you can turn it around to reach the doors on the back. It is just beautiful to look at, sadly my photographic skills don't stretch to doing the lovely colours any credit. The details on it are just perfect - it is handpainted, and all the animals come in pairs (naturally!) The Noah even looks a little bit like the Noah in Baby Kay's cross-stitch!

And I love the rainbow with it's little doves. It is so bright and pretty and looks so sweet in her nursery.
At the moment Baby Kay is too small to play with it (and probably for a few Advents to come!) but she points at it when you are lifting her from her cot, and then has to be held up to look at it while she makes 'Hmmm... Hmmmm' noises at it! I tell myself that's her recognising Noah and saying 'That's him again!' I look forward to telling her all about the story when she is older, and filling her little Ark with surprises when she is old enough to understand the significance!

Thanks for looking!

23 comments:

SmilingSally said...

Your baby has some nice godparents! Thanks for sharing. Happy S&T Day.

Anonymous said...

That is so beautiful. It's so funny because I want to do a nursery in Noah's Ark when I have a baby. I don't know anyone who has, until now :)

Janet, said...

Her godparents were so thoughtful and you did a great job on the cross-stitch. Also, Baby Kay is so cute!

Kristen said...

Wow! That is absolutely stunning. How fun it will be to fill it.

Candy said...

What a great piece. I am sure it will be treasured for years to come.
Thanks for stopping by.
Candy

Unknown said...

I have never seen such a beautiful Noah's Ark - I want to play with it myself!!!

Thanks for dropping by, always great to connect with another Norn Iron blogger.

Heidi Pocketbook said...

Oh.my.goodness. That is absolutely spectacular! How fortunately your sweet baby is to have such loving godparents.

I looked at that cross stitch as well and it's so cute! I don't have that talent, however my dear mother-in-law made one for oldest dd, and she too, finished it when dd was about 10 months old!

Hope you have a great weekend :-)

BECKY said...

Fiona, how adorable!! And I love your cross stitch!! I was going to do a sampler that was Noah's Ark, but never did. I regret it now.

The Ark is a most wonderful gift, and a great family heirloom! I'm sure it brings you much pleasure!
Thank you for sharing Baby Kay and her treasures!! You're her greatest treasure!!
Blessings,
Becky

P.S. I'll announce the winner of the giveaway tomorrow!

Belinda said...

Oh, its just beautiful! I love it, and how nice that your little girl's godparent's knew exactly what to get her. Baby Kay is sure to get hours and hours of joy playing with this treasure in the years to come. :-)

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful gift the godparents gave... I have never seen one before..
Thanks for sharing...
Just A Gal...

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

That is precious. Never seen a Noah's ark Advent calendar.

akawest said...

'That's him again!' That is so sweet.

The ark looks magnificent in your photos, which are very nice.

I know all about finishing cross stitch projects long after you had planned. I made PG a cross stitched tooth fairy pillow. I planned on making one for her sister. At 16, she is a bit beyond losing teeth. :)

Enjoy the weekend with your darling daughter.

Kym-Anne said...

What a beautiful gift, I'm sure it will be something Baby Kay will treasure and enjoy for years to come. I peeked at your cross stitch it's great.
Thanks so much for dropping by my blog and leavng such a nice comment.
Have a great week.

Lisa Cobler said...

That is beautiful. I've never seen anything like it. I'm sure she will treasure it.

Anonymous said...

How different that is, what a very thoughtful, nice present.

Charity said...

What a beautiful gift! I love the details... so unique!

Anonymous said...

What a great gift! Your baby will enjoy it for years to come.

Carla said...

How special! Wow! What a treasure for a lifetime:)

Pink Slippers said...

So cute and very different then the typical Noah's Ark things. I really like it.

Elena said...

That is so lovely. I know she will enjoy it for years to come! Thanks for sharing:)

Anonymous said...

What a darling gift and thoughtful too. The cross stitch piece is really nice too. And what a darling baby.
Charlotte

Linda C said...

What a special gift! I have a feeling that Noah will grace your grand children's room also!

It is very beautiful!

Linda C

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

This is so cool! And your little one most precious!!! Thank you for stopping by my place too :)