Friday 2 January 2009

Show and Tell

I so love this this idea - it gives me a great chance to tell my little girl things about me and ours lives that I might not otherwise think of putting down for her. And I love reading everyone elses Show & Tells - they are inspirational, funny, interesting and a great thing to read with a cup of tea!

My Show & Tell is a perhaps a strange one - it is my collection of blank, unused notebooks. I have to hold my hands up and say, 'I confess, I have a problem.' That problem is I cannot stop myself buying lovely notebooks, journals and jotters, and being determined to use them for something great when I get them home. And then I decide they are too good to spoil with random jottings - and I'll keep them safe for something special when the inspiration takes me. And then I don't use them for anything for fear of spoiling them, since they look so pretty and pristine. My husband thinks it is slightly insane (and also very funny, and much less expensive than shoes and handbags, so he doesn't interfere with my addiction!) The photo I am showing is only a small selection of the total - the collection is actually much more out of control than the picture suggests!!



It all sounds rather sad in a way, but strangely I have always loved my collection of unused notepads because they hold so much potential. They almost speak to me of what could be in them in the future - they are just waiting to be filled with ideas and recipes and quotes and poems and verses and all sorts of wonderful things. This year however I am determined to realise some of that potential - whatever that happens to be. I am going to start using one of them for things as they strike me - my darling husband for one will be glad to see them starting to be used; a real sign that I am starting to embrace life, enjoy the amazing things around me, and take a chance on the fact that while I might not produce anything as beautiful or inspirational as the covers of my notebooks, what ends up being inside will say more about me than leaving them empty!

15 comments:

SmilingSally said...

With that darling baby to love, you should fill one with all the marvelous things she does, along with the dates. What a keepsake for her and her children! Thanks for sharing. Happy Show 'n Tell Friday!

Heidi Pocketbook said...

I second smilingsal's comment! You have a wonderful gift of writing on this blog, and filling a journal or two with your sweetie's accomplishments would be a real hold-in-your-hand treasure for generations to come!

American Homemaker said...

I love notebooks too, but I use mine for random stuff. I used to just hold onto them and then I thought why not? :)

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

Your notebooks are beautiful, but they will be more beautiful for you and those in the future with your thoughts, and pictures..and randomness....Don't wait!

akawest said...

There is nothing is wrong with potential. I like the collection. Thanks for sharing.

scrapdolly said...

I can totally empathise with the collection

I like your blog x

http://dollysdreamings.typepad.com

Unknown said...

Get those random thoughts in one of those books! Your family will love to read what you write!!!

Rechelle ~Walnuthaven Cottage~ said...

I have to agree with Sally. Fill a notebook with all the wonderful things Kay discovers, does and likes. I did a month by month for my eldest boy when he was just a babe, and now I try to fill in periodically. He loves to read all the silly and wonderful things he did (he is 9).
Oh! KAY IS BEAUTIFUL. She looks like a precious doll.

Anonymous said...

Hi I'm so glad you found me and thank you so much for your payers. It was so nice to open up my computer and see your sweet comment!

I share your addition to pretty notebooks, and I don't think it is the least bit strange. Now that's not saying much coming from me, I tend to be rather strange :)

Anonymous said...

You sound just like me! I am so attracted to pretty notebooks, but I never buy them because my handwriting is so horrible that I tell myself that if I'm going to record anything I better do it on the computer. But I do look at them longingly.

I hope you do use some of them this year. Your family will treasure what you write inside much more than the lovely covers.

Lady Katherine said...

Note books and journals are just so fun to have!

Elizabeth-Plain and Simple said...

I also have some pretty journals that are blank. I bought them thinking I would fill them up. I have one that I started writing in over a year ago but failed to keep it up. Perhaps that will be one of my goals for this year. Thank you for sharing.

Elizabeth

Carla said...

I see empty journal as hope, hope for the future! I love your blog for your little one, you'll be glad you documented it!

Jean said...

I must admit I've never heard of anyone with this addiction before!lol! I'm glad to hear that you are trying to break free! Jean

Kelli said...

I do the same thing! Such a pretty collection of journals. Also, thank you for the beef recipe last week.
~Kelli