Friday 30 January 2009

Show and Tell Friday!

Show and Tell

Today for Show and Tell I am showing a vase that I got about 7 years ago. It is a Poole pottery purse vase - the design is called Odyssey, and stands about 12 inches tall. It really is quite a big heavy piece of pottery. I adore it because of the very vibrant colours and lovely sheen off the the surface. I am not really an ornamants or vases person, but this one had caught my eye many times in a John Lewis department store when I lived in St Albans - a whole lifetime ago!!! :)


It would never have occurred to me to buy it - I had no need for it, and anyway, had I had the money I would have probably been spending it in the book department instead! But having seen it so many times it really stuck in my head. Then, unexpectedly, the company I worked for at the time gave everyone some John Lewis gift vouchers as a Christmas present following a good financial year. I felt as if this was serendipity and just blew the whole lot on the vase!

Immediately afterwards I panicked at having spent so much on something that was going to be no use to me at all, but I have always loved it, and grow to love it more as time passes, so I don't believe it was a waste. Some day Baby Kay will have it I hope and enjoy her Mother's outrageous splurge in the China department!

Thanks for looking!

15 comments:

Lois Christensen said...

I think it's great you purchased something just because you loved it! And it will be something you can pass down to your little one and they'll always treasure it knowing you loved it so much! Very nice!

BECKY said...

The colors really draw you in, don't they? I only buy things I really love...otherwise...what's the point?? If I can't make it into something I love, or don't love it...I won't buy it!

Beautiful show and tell Fiona, and the serendipity makes it fun!!
Have a lovely day, sweetie!
Becky

Anonymous said...

FeeBeeKay,
You only live once and this ain't no dress rehersal...you need to splurge once in awhile on things you want. I don't do it often, but sometimes, when I really want something...I go for it.

Heidi Pocketbook said...

That is a really cool looking vase. I can see why it got your attention and stayed in your head til you bought it! Love that story.

Have a good weekend :-)

Belinda said...

I happen to love vases and find them addictive! So, I have no trouble seeing what you found irresisible in this stunning vase. Wow! Its a beauty, and I think it was definitely meant to go home with you. SOmetimes, something need serve no other purpose than to make us happy each time we gaze upon it. :-)

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

Great that you have something to remember those days with. See, it grows more enjoyable as the time passes. I think we all need to do that more often, instead of saying, gee, I wish I would have....

akawest said...

The method in which you came to purchase the vase, will always make you smile, as much as owning it. I like that. I agree, it is very beautiful.

The neurotic side of me, wants to add, BE CAREFUL!!!! Baby Kay will knock it down.
Want to hear about a pair of Waterford candlesticks? No? Too late. A certain little girl pulled one off a shelf. Her sister, years later, decided the other candlestick wanted to play, and that one met its end, as well.

Frazzled Mom said...

Your story made me giggle. Of course you should have splurged on it! That's what makes it so special.

Carla said...

Daddy is home! Yea! Your previous post is so sweet! My she is growing:) How can you have any guilt when it was a gift? Love the color, just eye catching!

Anonymous said...

Oh I love the colors. I appreciate the talent in pottery, I would love to learn how to do it.

Lisa Cobler said...

Very cool vase! My best friend collects vases and he would be crazy about this one.

Kathy said...

Sometimes the greatest treasures are those we don't really need and we decide to throw caution to the wind and go for it. Glad you have a treasure to love!

Alice said...

I think your pottery vase is beautiful and I can see how you would spend your whole voucher on it. I have recently started being a bit interested in pottery. So many pieces are dark and drab in color, yours is beautiful and vibrant :O). It looks like a keeper to me.

Thanks for coming to visit so regularly. I love reading your comments on my page. They make my day :).

Kelli said...

It's beautiful and will make a wonderful keepsake to pass down to your little one!
~Kelli

Sarah said...

Oh, my that is stunning! I love the colors! IT rather stands alone, no need for flowers even! I can imagine it with some Birds of Paradise......