Thursday 1 January 2009

Booking through Thursday

These questions are so appropriate at this time of the year, and since one of my New Year ASPIRATIONS (!!!) was to read more than I did in 2008 I am looking forward to answering the questions very much!!

I started a list of books I would love to get around to reading in 2009 on my blog so that it would remind me every time I logged in that I could be reading a book instead of other peoples blogs - but aren't they the same thing??

Two books I have owned for a number of years (shamefully too many to admit....) and always been too daunted by their size to start (because something was always coming down the tracks that would get in the way...) are the Gormenghast Trilogy (Mervyn Peake) and A Suitable Boy (Vikram Seth) Perhaps this is the year that one or both of those books finds their way into my handbag. That would be very pleasing.

I should also read more historical books - to get a better understanding of the past that has brought me to where I am today - but I think sometimes reading historical books is tinged with a sadness for what has been lost rather than what could be coming!

Whatever I read will be shoe-horned into those few hours my darling daughter is asleep and I am not, and the endless visits to The Wheels of the Bus - which I suspect will be what I actually end up reading in 2009.

2 comments:

Lorri said...

Happy New Year to you my friend. Have a safe and happy year.
Lorri

SmilingSally said...

It is hard to find reading time when you have a little one. Enjoy her while you can. My little ones are all grown, and now I can read all day. Happy New Year.