Sunday 11 January 2009

Another New Week

Darling Baby Kay, it is Sunday evening and the weekend has whizzed off past us again faster than the rest of the week ever does. It is pouring with rain outside, and has been blowing a gale all day, but we haven't ventured too far from home so it hasn't given us too much trouble. Daddy is watching the American Football on TV (he loves any kind of sport, from any country, it doesn't have to be from here!) and getting ready for his week at work. I am finishing off some emails - to my good friend K who is expecting baby boy #3, and to M, who has just had baby #3 (who also happened to be a boy!) and updating my blog for you for years to come I hope.

This week is going to be a strange one, because I am off on a trip at the end of the week - over to Bristol to see your new little cousin M who was born in November. It sounds lovely, and I am sure it will be great to see your Uncle R and Aunt C, and also to get a little cuddle of my new nephew, but I have never been away from you. Ever. Since I found out I was pregnant with you all those months ago, you have been physically with me. The longest we have been apart is 4 hours, and that was tough, because I thought about you all the time. And I was so glad to get back to you that evening, even though you were with Daddy and nothing was going to happen to you, that I ended up accidentally wakening you when I went in to see you before I went to bed.

Going away is already casting a shadow over me (which I hate) and making me anxious and not a lot of fun to be around for Daddy. My dear friend A, from Lincoln - Nebraska, would tell me just to pull on my big girl panties and get on with it. I know it means I can read a book on the flight, and buy a coffee and drink it while it's hot (a luxury I have discovered is only for those who haven't got a baby with them) But it is just a rotten feeling knowing I will not be there for you, and you will not be there for me to cuddle and hold when I want to see my gorgeous little girl. This is such an absurd situation - I am only going to be gone for 36 hours but it will be so very strange - and I can't seem to get it back into real world perspective.

I really feel for those women who have to go back to work, and aren't in the position I am in, thanks to Daddy, who can cherish this time and spend it with their little one. This week I plan to try to make sure that all the time we have together is quality time, and that when I leave on Friday you hardly know I'm gone. But for tonight I think I am just going to feel a bit sorry for myself. And dig out those big girl panties for tomorrow.

6 comments:

Lorri said...

Enjoy these moments dear friend. Those little girls grow up very fast indeed. It is hard to beleive that my babies are all grown up now. No grandchildren in site. Oh well, one day maybe I will be blessed with a darling little grand-daughter! Have wonderful week.
Lorri

Alice said...

I love your blog for your little girl! I did something similar for my son and daughter, except it was in a journal. Didn't do much blogging in the old days - lol! I am going to give the journal to each of them when they get married.

Thanks for always visiting my page and leaving such nice notes :). I really appreciate you. My daughter and I are leaving on Tuesday, headed across country to the state of Texas. We will be there for almost 2 weeks - at a speech and debate conference. It is part of our homeschooling. I will not have a computer there and won't be able to blog....(what will I ever do???)... so it will be awhile before you see me online again. Please don't forget me :O). And, I'll see you when we get back. Alice

Anonymous said...

Have a safe trip and try to enjoy it even though you won't have your little girl with you.

Thank you for your sweet comments. I am starting to feel back to normal.

Heidi Pocketbook said...

What a sweet post. You are such a devoted mom, but I know you'll have a good trip and appreciate your sweet BabyKay even more when you get back.

Being a former working mom, I can tell you it is hard leaving a baby/child and go off to work. Thankfully, my mom and mother-in-law were the sitters for my daughters when I had to work and I never had to worry what kind of care they were receiving.

Since you are one of my favorite bloggers, I have tagged you to play 4. Please stop over at my blog for the details.

Sarah said...

Oh, I hope you have a wonderful trip! I know it will be hard without that little extension of yourself ~ I must confess I've only spent one weekend away from mine, really by myself. It was nice ~ but I was ready to be home by Monday!

Your sweet, encouraging notes are such a blessing to me. I appreciate your thoughtfulness :-)

I hope you have a wonderful week!

Elena said...

I know how you feel. I would be that way if I had to leave my little one too! You are a great mom:)