Friday 6 March 2009

Ready for the weekend!

Today has been a great day - even the weather was bright and sunny, which you can never take for granted in Northern Ireland. The joke is that the weather is bad 9 months of the year and for the other 3 months it just rains! That didn't stop us heading out today to the post office together and to get some goodies in for J and the girls popping in for afternoon coffee. I have unfortunately discovered a new brand of biscuits (cookies to my American friends!) called Banana Snickerdoodles. I so wish I had never seen them or heard of them - they are too delicious for words. Suffice to say that J agreed and there is one lonely biscuit left in the packet this evening. But not for much longer. The kettle is boiling!

Darling Baby Kay, tonight all I want to say to you is that I hope through your life you are blessed with the kind of friends that I have had, and continue to meet as I get older. I have a friend who I have known since I was 10 years old who I still see every few weeks, and others who I have only just started getting to know. And it is these new friendships that are making my life feel so very blessed recently, for a number of reasons. Some of these people show remarkable kindness and generosity of spirit - ('Be not inhospitable to strangers, lest they be angels in disguise'.) Others are completely unique, honest, interested, supportive and funny in the face of everyday life. Others offer a safe place to land - a very safe place. I hope my darling that you grow up to be friends with R&N next door, and baby I, with S&E and the others who you come to grow up with. And above all I hope that they bless your life as much as you are blessing ours.

Looking forward so much to a '3-of-us' weekend, my little sweetheart!

6 comments:

A House FULL of Grace said...

Avery and Sigourney both let out an "ohhh" as Amelie's sweet picture popped up on our screen. We all just love her, you know.

Isn't it funny that half a world away, we live in such similar climates? I suggested to Steve the other day that he look for a job in Ireland and he looked at me completely befuddled. "Why would you want to move there where the weather is as miserable as it is here?" Of course, you and I both know why I would consider such a prospect, gloomy days or not! However, it is gloriously sunny here today as well and it makes me feel so much closer!

I can't wait to see what the post will bring...I'm disappointed you didn't include the last banana snickerdoodle, but hope you enjoy it anyway!

Have a wonderful weekend, you three, knowing that this friend is deeply fond of and grateful for you as well! ~Sara

akawest said...

You're too kind. Eccentric freak is what my family has deemed my kind.

Baby Kay looks adorable in her red, white, and blue. Have a great weekend.

Elena said...

Such a sweet post. I feel the same way you do about friendships. Entertaining angels unaware, was one of my great grandmothers favorite verses. I am sure your little darling will have many wonderful friends as she is being raised in a lovely and freindly home:)

Alice said...

what a beautiful post! i love to read your musings to your daughter. have a great weekend with your baby! i think i'm going to do a bit of shopping myself tomorrow. the rest of the famiy will be at jobs, but i'll be alone :O). have fun!

Heidi Pocketbook said...

This is such a sweet post☺ I can't tell you how much I think of you and the other blog friends I've made♥

The weather here is unseasonably gorgeous and I'm thinkin' I was outside enough today to get some sunburn, nothing terrible.

Banana snickerdoodles, those sound interesting....I know how much I like the traditional ones. I'd better investigate recipes....

Hugs as you have a wonderful weekend with your sweet baby and dh♥

BECKY said...

Greetings Fiona! What a joyful post! You know Fiona...you get what you give...and you are such an encouragement and bright sunshiney person...you can't keep it from yourself!!

Amelie will probably be the same!! I think you are already instilling it in her. She just shines...just like you!!

YOU are a blessing to me!
HUGS
Becky