Monday 23 March 2009

Happy birthday to me!!

Darling Baby Kay, this time last year, 19.54pm - you were 5 hours old. We were in the hospital in Craigavon, and you had met your Grandads and Grandma, your Uncle J and Aunt D - and your shell-shocked and euphoric Mummy and Daddy had finally held their baby girl in their arms after more than 42 weeks of pregnancy, and more years than I would like to think of hoping and praying for you to come along.

And you did. And this year - this last 12 months - have been the most amazing, tiring, incredible, exhilarating, terrifying, exhausting, humbling of my life. I have never known such tiredness and fear - how was I ever going to look after this tiny little person who needed me for everything. But I have also never known such overwhelming love and happiness.

Today, my darling daughter, we we took you to the beach in Newcastle where Daddy and I walked when we had only just starting dating. It was freezing - the kind of day that they say would 'skin you alive' here in Northern Ireland. But the sun shone brightly as we walked along the shore and we talked about everything we have been through together. You just watched the world go by from your little viewpoint in the pram, and I am sure that you had no idea just how much we love you, and how much we both feel that our lives are so blessed for having you with us. There is not a day goes by when I am not reminded of how lucky I am to have you - or the joy you have brought us both, even today when the wind took our breaths away and made your little red nose run!

Happy 1st birthday, darling Amelie. May you know yourself the love you have brought, and the changes you have blessed us with. This last year has been an incredible one for you, and for us - and may this amazing journey continue to be blessed with love, happiness and joy - for the 3 of us, and for those who know us and care for us.

And may you not catch cold because of irresponsible, but romantic parents who took you to the beach on a freezing March day!

10 comments:

Bridget said...

Happy, Happy birthday to sweet Amelie!!!! She is one of the cutest one year olds that I know. Sounds like a perfect birthday celebration - cold weather and all! I know how much you love that sweet girl of your and I can always tell by your posts that you love being her Mommy more than anything. She is a lucky girl to have such a great Mom and Dad! I'm so happy for the love that she has brought to your family - there is nothing quite like it!!! Enjoy your birthday girl today and always! She is a beauty!!!!!

- Bridget

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Amelie! what a sweet, sweet post - I'll have to do this for my 12 year old who will be 13 next month. I loved everything you said. Have a wonderful, fun day!

Alice said...

Happy birthday!!! Wow! Can you believe it's been a year? I think you picked a fine way to celebrate today - spending it on the beach. Of course, where I live the beach weather is in the 80's - lol! Have a great week :O) and happy birthday!

A House FULL of Grace said...

Happy Birthday to a precious princess who, along with her amazing Mummy, has had an incredible impact on those of us in blogland.

My smile extended from ear to ear as I read, for the first time on Baby Kay's blog, the reveal of her beautifully unique name. How appropriate for her first birthday! The picture of Amelie and her mummy on the boardwalk is priceless. The joy on her little face, in spite of her tiny red nose, is completely contagious. And your face is shining as well.

How happy she is to be with her two favorite people, in such a memorable place, on such a memorable day, listening to such memorable stories of her impact on their lives.

The miracle you experienced at 42+ weeks gestation only continues. I am certain that if you listen carefully to Baby Kay's babble in the coming days, you will hear her telling you of the ways she appreciates all that you've done for her and sacrificed on her behalf over the past twelve months.

The greatest gifts are those that are impactful to both the giver and the receiver. You and Amelie have given to and received from each other.

Happy Birthday and sweet dreams to you, little girl. And Fiona, thank you for sharing your precious gift with us. Here's to many, many more beautiful days ahead.

Blessings and love,
Sara

akawest said...

I think I have a little bit of time for it still to be birthday day, if we go by your time. That seems correct, since the birthday princess is there, not here. So...happy, happy birthday to the cutest one year old on the Internet.

The birthday outing sounds perfect. After all, without the romance of mum and dad, there wouldn't be a sweet little girl.

The most important thing a father can do for his children is to love their mother.

Theodore M. Hesburgh (it only took me five Google tries to remember the quote that I wanted!)

Prairiegirl said...

Happy birthday to you!
Thank for commented my blog including, There baby Grace is played by twins too their name is Wendi and Brenda Turnbaugh. They are really cute. oldest twins (as Carrie) are cuter in earlier seasons then later, they are just cute.
other twins too, their name is Michelle and Jennifer as Rose in last season (10).
Happy Birthday to you Amelie.

BECKY said...

Sweet Fiona,

Looks like you had a lovely time at the shore!! Amelie sure is smiling big!! Soak it all in, dear friend, and savor every moment you can. My little baby is soon to be 11, and I have NO idea where the time has gone!

I am making the MOST of the time I have with Maddy, knowing that in a few short years she could be off on her own! Oh my aching heart to even think of it!!

Can you email me so I can have your email addy? You'll see why when I write you. Mine is holidayinthesun_1@yahoo.com

Thank you special friend. Your caring thoughtful comments are like a light refreshing spring shower!! They just delight my heart, and water my soul!!

Love and hugs,
Becky

Anonymous said...

I'm happy to hear sweet Amelie had such a wonderful birthday!

How great is it that you took your daughter to a place that meant so much to you and your husband.

Lois Christensen said...

Looks like you all had a wonderful day filled with memories! I remember feeling the same way you did when I had my Olivia 16 years ago! Scared, not knowing what to do, etc. But we all learn, right? Just holding them is a miracle and I'm so happy to be able to share this journey with you! Thanks for inviting us along as we celebrate your little miracle and gift from God!!!

Elena said...

Wow, what a beautiful day! The Oregon coast is very beautiful but windy and cold. The waters come down from the Alaskan coast and are always cold! But the beaches are beautiful. I can't wait to take Mary there. It is a 75 mile drive so we will have to wait a while. My husband and I feel the same way about our Mary girl as you do about beautiful little Amelie and it is so wonderful to read your love for her and for each other! Thank you for your prayers for our new adventure with the lamps:)