Friday 6 February 2009

Show & Tell Friday

Show and Tell
This week for Show and Tell Friday I am posting something that actually belongs to Baby Kay again! It is her wall planner - that hangs over her changing mat in her nursery. It is a lovely quilted, embroidered chart, which is very colourful and bright as you can see - and which can keep a very wriggling 10 month old captivated for the 90 seconds it takes to change her nappy - unless she has decided to pull it off the wall now that she can reach the bottom of it to grab!!
It has little felt boxes that are attached with velcro at the back so that you can change the day and date every morning for her. There is a little pointer to turn to the right season, one for the weather and a little table to show whether it is hot, warm, mild or cold outside! Baby Kay loves hearing what the position is every morning, and watches intently while we explain what day it is and what the weather is doing! Little wonder she is a weather forecast addict!!

It is just a very sweet way of starting her daily routine - and we look forward to the day when she is a little bigger that she will be able to tell us what the day is, or decide what she wants the weather pointer to point at!

The planner is also special for another reason - we had this planner a long time before we had our darling daughter, or were finally decorating a nursery for her. My husband took me to Stratford-upon-Avon a few years ago, and we saw it in a shop. He had taken me over for the weekend to see the RSC production of Coriolanus, and before we flew back to Belfast we had been browsing in the gift shops. When I saw this I loved it, but I felt that it wasn't right to buy it when our baby plans hadn't materialised as we had hoped. My darling husband didn't agree. He bought it for me and said at the time that we would put it away, and when the time was right we would have our baby, and then we wouldn't regret not having got the little planner we liked. His faith that it would happen, and his love for me and his baby - who we didn't have yet, and wouldn't have for some time to come - has been something that has sustained our family through many tough times.

One of the happiest days of my life was getting it out of it's packing this time last year and pressing it to hang - with my big pregnant bump getting in the way of the ironing board, and not quite believing it had really happened! Just exactly the same way I feel when I look at our daughter asleep each night before I go to bed and can't quite believe she's ours.

Hope everyone has a great Friday and a lovely weekend!

17 comments:

Lois Christensen said...

What a sweet story!! And that your husband insisted on buying it makes it even more sweet!!! He's a great guy! The planner seems like the perfect thing to use to teach Baby Kay all about the day and how to be organized!!! Love it. I'm handing out awards tomorrow, so stop by and pick yours up!!!

Heidi Pocketbook said...

Awww, what a sweet story :-) I've never seen a baby planner before--maybe it's not a trend here in the states, or perhaps it's something new in the last 11 yrs. since my youngest was a baby. It sure is a great teaching tool.

Have a great weekend!

akawest said...

Your story of why Baby Kay is fated to be a weather girl is so sweet.

Enjoy the weekend. I hope Baby Kay's sniffles don't keep her out of the pool.

Carla said...

How darling! She will always know that she was welcome before she even got there:)

This is such a neat panel, so colorful, and so useful for years! Good for your hubby, and you for not disagreeing too loudly:)

Elena said...

That is so wonderful! The planner is darling and I loved reading the story behind it. Your hubby reminds me a lot of mine as how sweet he was before we had our little one and how much he loves me and her. Thank you so much for sharing your story, it is a blessing.

JudyBug said...

What a precious story! I understand waiting for the baby...it took us 7 long years but he's 26 now!!

Baby Kay is just adorable too!

Thank you for the sweet comments on my blog!

Karen said...

Awwww! That is so cute!!!
Thank you for stopping by my blog!
Karen

Anonymous said...

What a great story. I am not a good story teller and I envy you.

Pink Slippers said...

So neat and sweet. I really like it!

Alpine Sanctum said...

Alright, now I've figured out the new must-have addition to our nursery. :) Thanks for the inspiration!

Missy Wertz said...

What a lovely story! I love your baby planner and see why you and your DH wanted it so. Congrats on your baby!

GranthamLynn said...

What a beautiful Show and Tell. I love it. It is just so cute and so much fun. My grandson needs one.

Gattina said...

This is adorable, I didn't know that such a thing exists. It would be a wonderful gift for my son the day they will have a baby. I will start to look for it. Thanks for the good idea !

Jean said...

I love this! What a cute idea and such a great story with a happy ending! The picture of Baby Kay watching the snow is priceless.Thank you for your visit and kind comments. Jean

Melissa said...

How adorable! What a wonderful way to teach and share with your little girl.

I'm glad that my post was a blessing to you. No woman should be made to feel like she brought her child into the world the wrong way. Babies are miracles no matter what!

You little girl is precious :)

Kelli said...

What a wonderful planner...it looks like lots of fun!
~Kelli
P.s. Thank you for the birthday wishes!

A House FULL of Grace said...

I love the calendar and especially the story behind it. How vulnerable of you to share so openly; it is apparent that there is a "miracle" story behind your words and I so look forward to learning more.

I spent some time this past weekend looking through your older posts and was delighted (and surprised) to learn that we started blogging at about the same time. Your posts are so eloquent and heartfelt, I thought you were a seasoned veteran!!!

Blessings to you and your family...

Sara