Monday 9 February 2009

Darling Baby Kay - today it was too wet to go anywhere so we just stayed around the house together. I got the ironing done while you were happily entertaining yourself on the floor with your toys - and you had your bath and went down to sleep in great form.

This evening I have pulled out all my quilting fabrics to start and pick the ones I want to use for a quilt for you, little darling. Some of the little fat quarters have been in my stash for a very long time and come from all over the world, waiting on a special project to use them on. I have some beautiful ones from New Orleans, some from London, some from New Zealand, and even some Nanny brought me back from holiday from Nashville! I have been keeping them all together for such a long time, and now that you are here I think that this special fabric can go into a quilt for a very special little girl.

It is probably going to take me a year to finish, since I am not a very fast quilter, but you wouldn't be getting it til you were a bit bigger and going into a 'big-girl' bed anyway, so I can take my time and enjoy working on it over the evenings. I love this part of any needlework project - just before you start and gather together all the parts, and work out what blocks to use. It holds so much potential - that will really only become apparent over the coming weeks and months as I start to cut and stitch. I am itching to get started!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would love to learn to quilt. Can't wait to see it.

I love Baby Kay's t-shirt! Cute!

akawest said...

You iron!!! I own an iron. We have so much in common. :)

I can't wait to see the quilt. I am in awe of anyone who can follow through on such an undertaking.

Baby Kay's shirt is darling. My sister and I refer to our mother as mummy, but we spell it mommy. I don't know why. My mommy called her mother mummy and spelled it mummy.

Any way you spell it, you're a wonderful mummy to Baby Kay with your ironing, quilting, and cooking!

Lois Christensen said...

What a great gift to be able to make a quilt for her!!! Please take pictures of the process, even if it will take you a year! The end result will be something she'll treasure for many years to come. Hope your day was a good one!!!

Lorri said...

SO happy you are a quilter! I am too. Make that little girl an apron and be sure she has a toy stove. We have to do these things right!!! Love and kisses.
Lorri

Elena said...

That sounds like such a lovely project. Your little darling will just love it and treasure it over the years. I have some things my mom made and I am so glad I have them.

A House FULL of Grace said...

Love that you're making a quilt for Baby Kay. I would love to learn to quilt. Even though I don't know how to sew, I was given a machine for Christmas. A friend volunteered to teach me by starting with a little baby quilt. How fun to know we'll be quilting together this year!

Hugs to you and Baby Kay today!