Tuesday 7 April 2009

Shouting, part II....

Well, darling girl, we still have lots of shouting today, but I think that under the cover of the singing at Jo Jingles this morning you managed to get most of it out of your system. You were pretty well contained until about 4.30pm and then were a little bit wired until bed-time - but you are bathed, fed and fast asleep as I type so all is quiet for the meantime.

I have had some really good advice from Jaime and Sara, and thanks to an inspired birthday present from Prairiegirl teaching you more signs is the way to go. I tried 'please' with you, and while you just looked at me and didn't give it a try yourself it seemed to surprise you enough to stop the shrieking! I suspect you thought I was trying to tickle you out of it!

And strangely, as we are starting to learn signs, and you are finding your voice, you also said your first clear 'non-baby' word! I think you said it by accident, and I am fairly certain you don't realise that it means what you think it means - but you can now say 'Duck' quite clearly, and have said it several times to prove the point. And, true to form my darling, you are also refusing point blank to perform on cue - so I am the only one who heard it, and I think that Daddy thinks I imagined it!! Oh well, there's always plenty of time tomorrow to practice for him getting home from work!! Love always, precious darling x

7 comments:

Lois Christensen said...

Of course you didn't imagine it!!! She's beginning to communicate with you, wonderful! I remember those days! Get ready because once they start they keep chatting until they're teenagers!!! Some days I can barely get Olivia to say two words!! Beautiful picture!

akawest said...

In today's photo Miss Baby Kay looks intent on doing something, even if it is just escaping the embrace. She is going to be one determined toddler.

Signing is supposed to help hearing babies learn to talk. "More" is a fun sign, as in give me more food!

Wish you were here. Briana is on spring break. She washed her outdoor bunnies in the bathtub, using bunches of rags. Then she photographed them for her blog. Yeah, I bet I can entice you to visit with images of muddy garden statuary...next try coming soon.

Alice said...

i had a friend who taught her baby sign language for various words. it worked really well and made a wealth of difference. she even taught some of the important words to the nursery workers at church so the baby could tell us when she was hungry or thirsty. that's really cool that you're doing that.

Jaime said...

Fiona --- That is great progress already... Lindsey even though being with me more than dad early on (because dad worked a lot) I assumed she would naturally say Mom or ma first but, no da or dada was first. Duck now that's interesting.... I imagine a basket full of little furry easter duckies.... how cute. Keep on the signing ... It will surprise you how one day soon she will want something and with you only responding to her when she tries to sign than this will get her motivated to reach for her hands and put them somewhere but that will be a start and eventually she will do this even more....

I am praying for her and you as well.

I have heard that signing actually relieves stress in babies because they now know how to communicate with you and can express how they feel. Again... Good Luck.

A House FULL of Grace said...

I think Duck is a perfectly appropriate first word for our favorite Easter baby. So Daddy Kay hasn't heard it yet? Be careful he doesn't tell you tomorrow that she's said 'metamorphosis' or something similar while you were out of ear shot.

Love to you across the miles dear friend.
~S

P.S. My comment word verification today is 'sings', how appropriate for our little shrieker's blog.

P.s.

Elena said...

That is so wonderful that you are teaching her sign language. I have heard of other people doing that and I think is so smart!

Moxy Jane said...

I used signs with our first (who I refer to as "ElmTree") and it really, really helped. She wasn't a shrieker, just slow to verbalize. She's 10 now...and has NO trouble verbalizing;-) I use signs with some of the toddlers I work with in child care, especially those that just yell for everything, and I think it helps them so much. Good for you and Baby Kay!! Good communication starts early;-)