Wednesday 22 April 2009

Chat!

Darling Baby Kay, today I realised something that I hadn't before! You are usually very chatty during the day - you have a little range of sounds that we all know and recognise - your Dada, Mama, Eeeeh (with your hands outspread, which means both 'Everyone' and 'All done'), Nana, and a few others. But what I hadn't realised is that when I say things to you, you use those same sounds back to me, but you mimic the cadence of my voice and syllables of the words I have used.

At the end of your bath tonight I said 'Both hands, please' - which is your cue to reach your hands up so I can lift you out of the bath - and you said 'Ma-Ma, Ma' - going up at the end the way we do to get your attention when we say 'please', with a big smile on your face. And when I was zipping up your little Gro-bag, I said 'All tucked in!' and you said 'Na-na-na' with a big smile.

I know people will read this and think I have lost my marbles, but I am sure that you think you are saying back to me what I have said to you! Nothing will convince me otherwise :)

This evening I am just curled up on the settee - once I have finished this post to you I am going to make a cup of tea, and head to bed for an early night with my book. Tomorrow J is coming down to see us both - she is off work for the rest of this week and it will be great to catch up with her in town - so an early night will do no harm at all! Sweet dreams precious darling x x

9 comments:

Jaime said...

Of course she is talking to you mom. I can remember the frustration in myself wanting lindsey to talk to me before she was ready. I just couldn't wait to her her say "Mom" or even "pick me up" or "hold me"... Amelie is very talented. I'm sure she is letting you know that she understands. Some day she will be telling you so much you will wonder where the "off button" is.... Loving thoughts. Jaime

akawest said...

Remember back to when you first felt those fluttery movements inside of you, and somehow knew those were kicks. Prior to pregnancy, no one could explain how that would feel, in a way that seemed real. Or, maybe I am just a freak, because that was my experience. Well, this knowing that Baby Kay is talking, is akin to that sort of knowing. A mother just knows what it is when it happens. How exciting to be the first to hear her words. Babbling is always a joy. When you catch her in that act, your heart will fill with joy.
Yikes, I will leave you with one more thought, just in case there remains doubt that I am the one with the lost marbles. Here you go...when I only had Allie, I was afraid that I could never love another child as much. I was honestly frightened that I would only love a new baby part of the way. LOL That didn't end up being the case, of course. You are saved by more of my nonsense, by the proverbial bell. In this case, it is a call to drive the much loved second child to chess team.

Lois Christensen said...

I love that pictures of her! She looks as if she was chatting with you while you were taking the picture! I remember actually having to tell my kids that Mommy was tired and going to rest her mouth awhile a few times as they got older and chatted with me non stop!!! Now my 16 year old just grumbles!! Well, sometimes I get a word or two!! Enjoy!

Myrtle said...

How precious your post to little Baby Kay. When my children were small, we didn't have blogs, but if we did, I surely would have written down the sweet things they did through the day, too.
Blessings

A House FULL of Grace said...

Baby Kay's picture is so perfect for your post tonight, Fiona. She's looking at us as if to say, 'my Mum thinks you won't believe I'm really talking, but you know I am, don't you?!' It's something between a mother and her child that every mother who's had a child completely understands. So if, after reading these comments, you're still fearing you have lost your marbles, be assured that you're not alone!!!

Love and prayers to you tonight, friend. Hoping you're holding up while Daddy Kay is away.

Heidi Pocketbook said...

I could see today's picture with a caption of "Can we talk?"--who was it that used to say that, Joan Rivers?

She is your dd, and you know her the very best since you spend the most time with her. If you think she is talking to you, I'm thinkin' you are correct☺

Alice said...

Fiona, I love the way you talk to your daughter :O). This is going to be so special to her one day. And, I agree with Jaime - she is definitely talking to you. Don't you just love it!

BECKY said...

I'm so delighted that you get to experience this with Amelie!! How fun!! Each Mom does know!! It's true!! There will always be people who try to kill others joy, but if that happens, ignore it!!

You have a precious little girl that only God knows better than you!! Of course you know what she's doing!! You're such a good Mum, and it's so much fun to share all of this with you!!

Hugs 'n love, Sweetie!!
Becky

Elena said...

What you said about Amelie's baby talk is true. My brother is an English professor and has done a lot of study on languistics. They have learned first that babies understand long before they talk and that the baby jabber is learning cadence and intonation before they actually say the words. They learn the timing and pattern of how the words are spoken. I find that so interesting! I experienced the same thing with Mary. We are truly wonderfully and fearfully made! Have a wonderful day, dear friend!