Monday 27 April 2009

Half-full...

Darling Baby Kay - you are not well at all at the minute little darling. We had a busy Friday and Saturday, where we took you into town while we looked for new shoes for Daddy, and had lunch at Pizza Express. You had Pasta Pommodoro - and had a great time sitting up at the table with the little cup of colouring pencils and book the wonderful waiter brought.

Unfortunately that was the best of the weekend. The worst was still ahead. Daddy was playing in a golf competition on Sunday, and though you were a little pale I took you out in the car for a ride to pick up a few things for home. You had eaten all your lunch and seemed in pretty good spirits, but the minute I parked the car up at the shops you threw up your lunch, all over yourself, and the car seat, and the car. The worst part was you were so upset about it. I had to strip you down in the car park and clean you up as best as I could with baby wipes. I had no change of clothes for you, because I stopped carrying spares - so I had to wrap you in a blanket and my jacket and put you back in the yucky seat for the 3o minute drive home.

I was able to get you cleaned down and into bed when we got back. Then I got the car cleaned and took the car seat apart to clean. Parts of it are drying all over the laundry room, because it is one of those clever things that are made for children which are hand-wash only, and don't tumble dry. And in Nothern Ireland you get about 25 minutes of outside drying a month, and we already had April's. Everything is pretty much sorted now, except for you little darling. You are pale and tired, and a little warm, but you are taking milk and water and keeping it all down, and a little bit of food, though you aren't so fussed on that.

I could still cry about this if I stopped to think about it. God is having a big old laugh at me this week.

6 comments:

akawest said...

Aw, poor Baby Kay. Wearing your lunch is no fun at all. Cleaning up the mess doesn't sound like much of a picnic, either. It sounds as if she is on the mend, which is a good thing. Tomorrow she will be back to her happy self. I just know it.

Hugs,
Lisa

Lois Christensen said...

Poor Baby Kay...poor mommy!! Don't be so hard on yourself! Here's a story so you know you are not alone!! When Hubby was on his way home from Iraq 2 years ago, Michael was very sick, throwing up sick. BUT we had to get to the airport to pick up hubby! We had to be there to greet him. AND I had no one to watch Michael. So in the car all three of us went along with a bucket and we had to stop 2 times to empty the bucket. Walking into the airport with the bucket was not fun, especially as Michael proceeded to use it 2 more times while waiting for hubby to arrive. No running to greet him either...Michael was throwing up as hubby was walking over to greet us!! Life happens! I pray Baby Kay will be feeling better soon and that you also will be able to look back on this one day and not feel so bad!!

Jaime said...

Hang in there Fiona. There will be some light ahead. God isn't laughing but holding your hand. I share in your struggles having a hubby that has always been away at work. Sometimes we just need to have someone with us physically when these things happen for the support. Wish I could be there with you.

You and Amelie are in our prayers... Kiss her forehead for me.

Much love and healthy wishes your way. - Jaime

A House FULL of Grace said...

I agree with Jamie. God is not laughing at you, only reminding you that this life is 'icky' and we need Him to help us through the 'grossness' that comes some days.

We've done that car seat thing and it is not fun. I don't think anything related to children should be dry clean only. It's a conspiracy. Be blessed and know that prayers are coming your way from thousands of miles away and here is to a healther happier baby and her mommy.

Elena said...

Poor little Amelie. I hope she is all better now. I remember when Mary was a year old we took a trip to Crater Lake with some friends and she threw up on the way back. I think it was because the road had a lot of turns. I felt so bad for her. She felt better when we got home. I hope tomorrow is a better day! Love, Elena

Sarah said...

Poor sweet little dear! The throwing up seems to be such a traumatic event for the little ones.......I've got my little fellow who still recalls, with great precision, when, where, and how the (2) great events happened. On the stairs, and on the bed!

This reminds me of a trip we took cross country when our oldest was a little one. Fever, throwing up, and coughs all the way to the relatives house.....I caught the bug purely out of sympathy, I do believe.

I am very glad you were so close to home, although I'm sure the car trip back seemed like 24 hours instead of 24 minutes.

Get well soon dear one!