Tuesday 16 June 2009

Crazy sort of week....

Darling Baby Kay, it has been a crazy few days for us here. Everything is relative of course, and my crazy is nowhere near as chaotic and stressful as some of the tough things other people have been going through, but it has been crazy by our standards!

Today, for example - you managed to lock yourself in the car, with my handbag and housekeys (my fault entirely for letting you hold the car keys while I walked round the car to open the other door and get the shopping out.) After a few minutes of blind panic (me) and smiling and waving out of the car (you), and then going to introduce myself to one of our neighbours I have never met before, the wonderful J who lives 2 doors up, the situation was sorted. He offered to drive the 50 miles round trip to get Daddy's keys (which was not going to work as he was golfing and we couldn't get him on his phone), he called the police to find out what we should do, he called his friend to get him to get us a locksmith - who came and rescued you just about the time your patience was up and you had decided it really wasn't very funny any more. He was such a gentleman - and Daddy went over this evening to thank him for rescuing his girls today.

I have posted this picture of you which respresents the other side of how things have been going this week, and one of the wonderful, totally unexpected results we had earlier today, before the car episode. We have managed to switch you onto another dummy! This may not seem like rocket science, but you have been using the same brand and type since you were only weeks old, and though we had about a half dozen to begin with gradually they got ratty and ended up in the bin - but we had managed to hold onto 3 that were doing a great job up until 2 weeks ago. 2 weeks ago serious teething kicked in, and you have managed to puncture 2 of the 3. They went into the bin, and so there was 1.....

We have tried you on other ones which look and feel exactly the same but YOU KNOW that they are not your dummy!! After discovering the ones we were using are discontinued I had no idea how we were going to resolve it. Today when I went to give you the new brand of dummy (the 3rd new one we had given a chance....) you just smiled, took it, and cuddled up to your Moo, as if to say 'OK, I give up Mummy - this one will do.' You have gone to bed tonight with it very happily, and I will be going back to Boots tomorrow to buy 5 more exactly the same. For the rest of the teeth.

5 comments:

Elena said...

Wow, what an experience. So far (knock on wood) I have not done that with Mary, but I have had several girlfriends do that. One was while she was at my house and we called the fire department. They came in a huge red fire truck with sirens and all. They saved the day! Glad everything turned out well for you and that Amelie is taking the new brand of pacifier. I was very attached to one as a toddler and I called it a "Binky". I hope you have a more peaceful day today:) Love, Elena

Heidi Pocketbook said...

Oh, I did that one time....on a very HOT Texas summer day. Thank goodness one neighbor was home, and dh was able to borrow someone's car to get home and unlock dd--who was not happy.

Neither of my girls were attached to pacifiers--they preferred their thumbs. I didn't think the youngest would ever give that up.....

Your sweetie looks very smug in that picture--that "I've got something planned" look ;-)

Lois Christensen said...

Oh my word! I would have been going crazy! Glad you have such wonderful neighbors who were able to help you!!!

Jaime said...

Fiona , I can totally relate. When lindsey was about 2 she watched me go out the back sliding glass door onto our patio and then without thinking she put the wooden safety stick back in the door once it was shut... I can relate to your panic. I also went to a neighbor who brought a toolbox and was going to just take off my sliding door. However, as we rounded the corner she giggled and pulled the stick out. LOL.
These are memories that we carry with us.

Much love Fiona.
Give Amelie hugs from Aunt Jaime

A House FULL of Grace said...

I think locking your baby in the car is a right of passage. It puts thick skin on a mother that she's sure to need later in her child's life. Been there, done that...and probably will again (with my brood the odds are pretty high)...if it's any consolation.

I do think though, that Baby Kay's smile at the end of it all says 'c'mon Mummy, what's all the fuss about? I loved having all those friendly people waving at me through the car window and think we should have another adventure again soon...' Aren't you glad children are more forgiving than adults?

Glad to hear she's accepted her new dummy. Companies who discontinue pacifiers are evil!!

Love to you, dear friend,
S